What does it mean for my business?
The Clean Air Zone will help improve Birmingham’s air quality by charging the owners of the most polluting vehicles to drive through an area within the A4540 Middleway (but not the Middleway itself).
If your vehicle(s) meet the emission standards for the Clean Air Zone you will not need to pay the daily charge. The emissions standards for the Clean Air Zone are:
- Euro 6 (VI) or better for diesel engines
- Euro 4 or better for petrol engines
- For diesel/petrol electric hybrids the vehicle should meet the relevant emission standards
- Fully electric or hydrogen fuel cell powered vehicles will not need to pay the charge
What exemptions and support are available?
A full list of exemptions can be found on our exemptions page, but there are also temporary exemptions for:
- People who work within the Clean Air Zone
- Commercial vehicles registered within the Clean Air Zone
- Commercial vehicles with existing finance agreements
If your business needs to pay the charge you may also be eligible for financial support from our Heavy Duty Vehicle (HDV) Fund .