If you live in the Clean Air Zone


If your vehicle is not compliant within the Clean Air Zone we are not planning to charge you to drive in the zone until 2022, two years after the zone is introduced.

This will not be an automatic exemption; you will need to supply evidence that you have lived within the zone and that your vehicle is registered to the address where you live. 

When the application process opens, you will need to supply: 

Vehicle document: You will need to provide an impage or copy of one document from the list below: 

  • Your own private vehicle: Your V5C vehicle registration certifcate (logbook). The vehicle must be registered with the CVLA in yourr name and at the address you are using to apply for the exemption. 
  • Company car: A company car authorisation letter; this must be on company headed paper, state your full name, the number plate (vehicle registration mark) and confirm that the vehicle is for your use only. (The vehicle must be registered in the company name with the DVLA).
  • Lease vehicle: Vehicle lease document; this is the document that you signed to lease the vehicle. (The vehicle must be registred in the lease company name with the DVLA)
  • A company car provided by a lease company: Your company's vehicle lease document (this is the document that you signed to lease the vehicle). 


Proof of address: One of the following is required:

  • A council tax bill, valid for the current year
  • A current utility bill, for example gas, electric or water bill, no more than three months' old (mobile phone bills are not accepted)
  • A bank or credit card statement, no more than three months old
  • A formal tenancy agreement or housing association rent document, dated within the last 12 months
  • Your driving licence (must contain the address you are using to register for the exemption)

All documents must be clear enough to read easily. If we can't read the documents, we may request more evidence which could delay the process. 

We expect the process for applying for an exemption to be open from spring 2020; register an expression of interest to be notified directly via text and/ or email when the applications go live.