Information for Hackney Carriage vehicles
Fitting accredited retrofit technology
OPTION 1: Fitting accredited retrofit technology
This option is available to drivers who own their own hackney carriage and to leasing companies with vehicles licensed by Birmingham City Council (BCC).
We will provide grant funding of up to £5,000 towards the installation of CVRAS3 accredited retrofit technology.
Vehicles retrofitted with technology outside of this scheme will not be eligible for funding. To take advantage of this option you would need to:
- Confirm that you own a BCC hackney licence carriage.
- Register interest with a retrofit provider (this may include a refundable deposit, depending on the provider). The retrofit provider would then carry out a check on your vehicle to ensure that it is suitable for the retrofit solution.
- Sign the grant terms and conditions.
- Make a reservation with the retrofit provider (this may require you to pay a holding deposit)
- Provide evidence of the retrofit installation to us.
- We will make a single payment of the cost of the retrofit installation (up to a maximum value of £5,000 against pre-VAT cost).
Things to consider:
- Not all vehicles will be eligible for retrofit installation. This could be because it’s:
- the wrong model.
- too old
- deemed by the retrofit provider not to be in a good enough condition to carry out the installation.
- After the technology is installed, you must comply with the operating requirements of the vehicle.
- You will be responsible for VAT payment for the retrofit of your vehicle.
- Spot checks will be carried out. If found to be operating the vehicle in a way that does not comply with the requirements, the Council reserves the right to reclaim the grant.
- If your vehicle is not eligible for retrofit technology, you can still purchase a vehicle that is eligible and carry out the retrofit on this vehicle.
- You also have the option to purchase a vehicle that is already retrofitted, provided it has not already received a grant (from Birmingham City Council or another local government authority). You will need to provide evidence of original cost of the retrofit and that it is CVRAS accredited.
- If you had CVRAS accredited retrofit technology fitted to your vehicle after 10 September 2018 you will still be able to apply for the grant. To qualify for the grant, you will need to provide suitable evidence that the retrofit solution is CVRAS accredited.
*A list of CVRAS accredited solutions can be found here
When you have read all of the information in this section, please complete an expression of interest form.
Go to option 2: Upgrade to an electric vehicle