Information for Hackney Carriage vehicles
Upgrade to an electric vehicle
OPTION 2: Upgrade to an electric vehicle
This option is available to Birmingham drivers who own their hackney carriage or who have a long-term vehicle leasing arrangement.
We will provide grant funding of up to £5,000 as a contribution to the operating expenses of a Birmingham licensed electric hackney carriage. This funding will consist of four annual payments of up to £1,250 each, which could be used to cover costs such as electric charging, insurance, servicing, ranking fees etc. To take advantage of this option you would need to:
- Organise the purchase or long term lease of an electric hackney carriage.
- On delivery of the vehicle provide evidence that you have purchased or leased the electric taxi in question and sign the grant terms and conditions.
- Before each annual payment, you must provide evidence that you are still in possession of the vehicle and of running costs incurred.
Things to consider:
- The market for electric hackney carriages is currently limited with only one market-ready model available.
- The government’s plug-in grant means that the purchase price of the vehicle will already have been discounted by up to £7,500. Find out more at gov.uk/plug-in-car-van-grants
- There are currently a relatively small number of public electric charging points available within Birmingham. But we are set to expand this network with at least 197 new charging points (including at least 97 rapid charge points) across the city.
- If you want to install an electric vehicle charge point at your home, the government’s Electric Vehicle Homecharge
- Scheme provides grant funding of up to 75% towards the cost of installing smart charge points at domestic properties across the UK. Find out more here
- If you have already purchased (or have a lease in place) an electric hackney carriage you would still be able to apply (with suitable evidence) for this grant. This only applies for purchases or leases after 10 September 2018.
When you have read all of the information in this section, please complete an expression of interest form.
Go to option 3: Electric taxi rental scheme