Information for Private Hire Vehicles
Upgrade to a Clean Air Zone compliant diesel or petrol vehicle
This option is available to Birmingham registered drivers who own or lease a private hire vehicle and to PHV leasing companies with vehicles licensed by Birmingham City Council.
You must currently have a PHV which is not compliant with Clean Air Zone standards (petrol Euro 4, diesel Euro 6).
We will provide grant funding of up to £1,000 towards the purchase or long-term lease of a Clean Air Zone compliant petrol or diesel vehicle which meets the requirements of Birmingham City Council’s licensing policy.
To take advantage of this option you will need to:
- Register your interest in the scheme.
- Purchase or lease a compliant vehicle.
- On delivery of the vehicle provide proof of purchase or lease and an assessment of the vehicle’s value, and sign the grant terms and conditions.
We will make a single payment to reimburse you for up to £1,000 of the vehicle’s pre-VAT cost.
Things to consider:
- Once you have purchased or leased the new vehicle, your old vehicle can no longer be licensed by Birmingham City Council.
- Funding can only be applied to a vehicle once. This means that some drivers may not be able to receive funding
- if they are leasing a vehicle which has already received funding.
- If you have already purchased (or have a lease in place) a Clean Air Zone compliant diesel or petrol PHV you would still be able to apply (with suitable evidence) for this grant. This only applies for purchases or leases after 10 September 2018.
When you have read all of the information in this section, please complete an expression of interest form.