Information for Private Hire Vehicles
Upgrade to a hybrid or plug-in hybrid electric vehicle
This option is available to Birmingham drivers who own or lease a private hire vehicle and to PHV leasing companies with vehicles licensed by Birmingham City Council.
You must currently have a PHV which is not compliant with Clean Air Zone standards (petrol Euro 4, diesel Euro 6).
We will provide grant funding of up to £2,000 towards the purchase or long term lease of a plug-in hybrid electric vehicle or hybrid electric vehicle that is not eligible for the government’s plug-in grant4. The vehicle must be compliant and meet the requirements of Birmingham City Council’s licensing policy.
To take advantage of this option you will need to:
- Register your interest in the scheme.
- Purchase or lease a suitable vehicle.
- On delivery of the vehicle provide proof of purchase or lease and an assessment of the vehicle’s value, and sign the grant terms and conditions.
We will make a single payment to reimburse you for up to £2,000 of the vehicle’s pre-VAT cost.
Things to consider:
- Once you have purchased or leased the new vehicle, your old vehicle can no longer be licensed by Birmingham City Council.
- Funding can only be applied to a vehicle once. This means that some drivers may not be able to receive funding if they are leasing a vehicle which has already received funding.
- There are currently a relatively small number of public electric charging points available within Birmingham. But we are set to expand this network with at least 197 new charging points (including at least 97 rapid charge points) across the city.
- If you want to install an electric vehicle charge point at your home, the government’s Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme provides grant funding of up to 75% towards the cost of installing smart charge points at domestic properties across the UK. Find out more here
- If you have already purchased (or have a lease in place) a plug-in hybrid or hybrid electric PHV you would still be able to apply (with suitable evidence) for this grant. This only applies for purchases or leases after 10 September 2018.
When you have read all of the information in this section, please complete an expression of interest form.