Information for Private Hire Vehicles
Upgrade to a fully electric or long-range plug-in hybrid vehicle
This option is available to Birmingham drivers who own or lease a private hire vehicle. You must currently have a PHV which is not compliant with Clean Air Zone standards (petrol Euro 4, diesel Euro 6).
We will provide grant funding of up to £2,500 as a contribution to the operating expenses of a fully electric vehicle or long-range plug-in hybrid vehicle. This is defined as vehicles that are eligible for the government’s plug-in grant. The funding will consist of two annual payments of up to £1,250, which could be used to cover costs such as electric charging, insurance, servicing etc.
To take advantage of this option you will need to:
- Register your interest in the scheme.
- Purchase or lease a suitable vehicle.
- On delivery of the vehicle provide proof of purchase or lease and sign the grant terms and conditions.
- Before each annual payment, you must provide evidence that you are still in possession of the vehicle and of the running costs incurred.
Things to consider:
- Once you have purchased the new vehicle, your old vehicle can no longer be licensed by Birmingham City Council.
- The government’s plug-in grant means that the purchase price of the vehicle will already have been discounted by up to £3,500. Find out more at here
- There are currently a relatively small number of public electric charging points available within Birmingham. But we are set to expand this network with at least 197 new charging points (including at least 97 rapid charge points) across the city.
- If you want to install an electric vehicle charge point at your home, the government’s Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme provides grant funding of up to 75% towards the cost of installing smart charge points at domestic properties across the UK. Find out more at here
- If you have already purchased (or have a lease in place) an electric PHV you would still be able to apply (with suitable evidence) for this grant. This only applies for purchases or leases after 10 September 2018.
When you have read all of the information in this section, please complete an expression of interest form.