Birmingham's Clean Air Zone
Who will be charged?
As per the Charging Order, which is the legal document that sets out the terms of Birmingham's Clean Air Zone, the following vehicles will be charged if they are not compliant:
- HGVs (lorries)
- LGVs (vans)
- Taxis (including private hire vehicles and Hackney/ black cabs)
Motorcycles and mopeds will not be charged for entering the Clean Air Zone.
Vehicles which meet the following criteria will not be charged and do not need to take any action:
- Diesel – Euro 6 (VI) standard or better (roughly end of 2015 onwards)
- Petrol - Euro 4 standard or better (roughly 2006 onwards)
- Gas – Euro 6 (VI) standard or better
- Fully electric or hydrogen fuel cell – all are compliant and avoid CAZ charges
- Hybrid electric – the diesel/petrol engine must meet the relevant criteria above
You can check if your vehicle will be charged using the online Government vehicle checker.
If you believe your vehicle meets the eligibility criteria but is showing as subject to the daily charge, please contact the DVLA to request their database is updated using their online form or by calling 0300 029 8888 between 8am and 4:30pm, Monday to Friday.