Vehicle Scrappage and Travel Scheme
Eligibility and overview
If you are the owner of a non-compliant vehicle and meet the following criteria, you can sign up for our Vehicle Scrappage and Travel Scheme if you meet all of the following eligibility criteria:
- Have been the registered owner/ keeper of a non-compliant vehicle since 10 September 2018
- Live outside of the Clean Air Zone but work at least 18 hours per week at premises based within it
- Earn less than £30,000 a year
The scheme will involve you scrapping your non-compliant vehicle through Motorpoint and selecting one of the following two options:
- £2,000 worth of Travel Credits will allow you to claim the equivalent of three years of free travel when you add your travel product onto a Swift card. A Swift card is an easy and flexible way to travel around the West Midlands using public transport. With a choice of tickets for bus, train or tram you can pay using the Travel Credits by loading your chosen tickets onto the Swift card and then use it like a contactless card when on board. You can buy Swift products for yourself and children under 18. For other members of your household you can buy pay-as-you-go card credits to travel within the West Midlands area.
- £2,000 discount on the purchase of a compliant vehicle purchased through our partner for this scheme, Motorpoint.
What do I do next
When you submit your application, you will have to submit the following evidence to confirm your eligibility. We will use the Government's vehicle compliance checker to work out if your vehicle is compliant or not.
- Be the registered keeper of a non-complaint vehicle, and have owned it since 10 September 2018*.
- We will require a copy of the vehicle's V5c (vehicle registration certificate) showing your name, the vehicle details and the date of ownership on it.
- We may also use the Government's website to check if there is a valid MOT for the vehicle
(*The council first confirmed its preferred option for the Clean Air Zone in September 2018, and we’re using this date across all of our financial incentives schemes for consistency).
- Work in the Clean Air Zone.
- A letter from your employer on headed paper confirming you work at least 18 hours per week at premises within the zone. Please use our example letter as a template to ensure you provide all of the relevant information
- Earn less than £30,000 per year.
- Proof of your earnings through either pay slips, a P60 or a tax return if you’re self-employed.
We will email you to confirm whether or not your application has been successful. If approved, you will be contacted by Motorpoint within five days to discuss your options and getting your vehicle scrapped.
Before applying, ensure you have read:
- the travel credit options being offered by Transport for West Midlands
- how the credit will be applied at Motorpoint
- the terms and conditions
If you have any questions, contact the Vehicle Scrappage and Travel Scheme team.