Air pollution and frequently asked questions

Frequently asked questions (FAQs) exemptions

How do I apply for a temporary exemption permit or financial incentive?

If eligible, you can apply for a temporary exemption permit now through the this website.
Applications for financial incentives will not be open until late 2020 but will be available through this website. Details of the launch will be announced through the Brum Breathes newsletter, which you can register to receive.

I'm a blue badge holder and my car is not compliant; do I have to pay the charge?

Blue badge holders will not be exempt from the CAZ charge. If your vehicle is not compliant and you drive in the Clean Air Zone, you will have to pay the charge.
Vehicles registered with a 'disabled' or 'disabled passenger vehicles' tax class 85 will not have to pay. More information about the eligibility criteria for the disabled tax exemption is available on the Government website.

I'm travelling to Birmingham Children's Hospital; will I have to pay?

If your vehicle is not compliant and you are visiting the Children’s Hospital (or the Badger Clinic or Attwood Green Medical Centre) for an appointment, visit or to drop off a patient, you will not be charged to drive in the Clean Air Zone for the first year.
A voucher will be available from these centres during your visit and, once the unique voucher code has been redeemed online, any potential charge you would have received will be redacted. You must request this voucher in order to ensure the charge is not issued.
This system is currently in development but will be hosted on this website.

Do specialist emergency service vehicles have to pay the charge if they are not compliant?

All specialist emergency service vehicles will be exempt from the charge.

I have an historic vehicle; do I have to pay?

Vehicles registered with the DVLA as having a historic tax class will be exempt from Birmingham’s CAZ.
You can apply to stop paying vehicle tax if your vehicle was built more than 40 years ago. This date moves forward on a 40-year rolling system. When the CAZ launches in 2021 vehicles built before 1981 will be eligible to apply for historic vehicle tax class

What evidence do I need to submit to apply for a temporary exemption permit?

The evidence will depend on whether you are applying as a resident, worker or business.

How long will it take to process my application for a temporary exemption permit?

The CAZ (Clean Air Zone) is due to come into effect in 2021. The aim is to ensure the majority of exemption applications received before the launch date are processed beforehand. Confirmation of successful or unsuccessful exemption applications will be provided to applicants in advance of the launch. It is important to note that your vehicle will not be registered as exempt until you receive confirmation from us. We recommend applying as soon as possible to ensure your application can be processed ahead of the launch as we expect demand to increase nearer the time.

Can I apply for multiple exemptions?

Yes if you are the registered keeper of more than one non-compliant vehicle, you can apply for an exemption for each vehicle. This is subject to the exemption type, not applicable to all exemptions. 

If my car is parked in the Clean Air Zone for several days, would it be charged for that whole time?

Your vehicle is only chargeable when in motion. The ANPR cameras record vehicles when they are moving, so you would receive a charge for each individual day the vehicle in question is picked up by the cameras. Your vehicle does not have to be registered as SORN (statutory off-road notification) with the DVLA to avoid charges whilst being stationary.