Summary of exemption permits
Exemption permits overview
If your vehicle does not meet the emission standards and will be subject to the daily charge for the Clean Air Zone, you may be eligible for a temporary exemption.
Before applying for a temporary exemption permit:
- Check if you are eligible and what documents you need to submit using the links below.
- Read our Terms and Conditions and Application Guidance
- If applying for a workers exemption please take a moment to read through this Model Workplace Letter which shows the information your letter should provide in support of your application
- Please ensure you submit all the required documentation
- If information is missing, we will contact you which could mean a delay in processing your application.
- Once you have submitted your application you will receive an automatic acknowledgement email.
- You will be notified of the outcome of your application prior to the Clean Air Zone going live.
- If your application is successful and has been approved your Exemption Permit will be issued closer to the launch date of the Clean Air Zone.
- Please do not contact us for updates until you are notified as to whether your application has been approved or rejected.
We produce a monthly update on the number of exemption permits which have been approved, broken down by category and month with a cumulative total.
Find out more
- Exemption permits for residents
- Exemption permits for workers
- Commercial vehicles registered within the Clean Air Zone
- Commercial vehicles with existing finance agreements
- Disabled drivers and blue badge holders
- School and community vehicles
- Medical practice exemptions
- Emergency service vehicles
- Historic and military vehicles
- Recovery vehicles
- Showman's Vehicle
- FAQs (General)
- FAQs (Exemptions)
- Exemption terms and conditions