If you're an employer with staff who drive to or for work in Birmingham
Staff who use their car for work
If your staff currently use their own cars to travel for work (usually you would be paying them a mileage allowance in this case), it’s a good idea to review your policies around this:
- Who will pay Clean Air Zone charges? If their car is not compliant, they will be responsible for paying the CAZ charge, but you should consider whether you will offer to reimburse them.
- Could you save money by investing in Clean Air Zone compliant pool vehicles? As well as reducing staff mileage claims and avoiding any charges, providing staff with pool vehicles means they do not need to drive to work and have the freedom to switch to public transport, cycling or walking. This reduces city centre congestion and demand for parking space. Read more information about upgrading or investing in vehicles for your organisation.
- Could you save money by joining a car club? A car club gives you access to a vehicle when you need one, without the hassle of ownership. Most car clubs will offer corporate membership; in Birmingham city centre Co-wheels is a good option as they operate from a number of on street parking spaces.
- Could some of the trips be made in other ways? If people don’t need to carry lots of equipment, they may be able to walk or cycle to a meeting, or use public transport. A few pool bicycles or corporate membership of Brompton Bike Hire are inexpensive ways to help staff switch to cycling. You can also invest in corporate public transport tickets for the best prices and to avoid the hassle of lots of expenses claims.
- Could some of the trips be avoided altogether? Technology means that some meetings no longer need to happen in person, saving you time and money.