People who work in the Clean Air Zone

If you work within the Clean Air Zone, but live outside of it and meet the criteria for a worker temporary exemption permit, you may also be eligible for a financial incentive to scrap a car that does meet the emission standards for the Clean Air Zone.  Alternatively, you could receive a grant towards a ‘mobility’ credit.

If you meet all four of the following criteria you could receive a financial incentive towards the purchase of a vehicle that does meet the emission standards for the Clean Air Zone or a mobility credit for use on public transport: 

  • You are the registered owner/ keeper of a vehicle that does not meet the emission standards for the Clean Air Zone so would be subject to the daily charge 
  • You have been the registered owner/ keeper of that vehicle since before 10 September 2018 
  • You work at least 21 hours per week at a business premise situated within the Clean Air Zone 
  • You earn less than £30,000 a year 

If you meet the eligibility criteria you have two options: 

Scrap your non-compliant vehicle through a nominated scrappage firm(s)

You can then choose to receive one of the following options:

  • £2,000 credit to be spent towards a compliant vehicle at our approved car dealership(s) 
  • £2,000 mobility credit for a Swift Card to use on public transport 

Keep your non-compliant vehicle: 

Alternatively, you can keep your non-compliant vehicle and pay the daily charges once the temporary worker exemption permit expires after 12 months and apply for a £1,000 mobility credit for a Swift Card. 

What do I do next? 

Applications for this scheme will open in 2021. To register an expression of interest in the financial incentive for workers, send us your details via the Feedback Form and add 'I am interested in the financial incentive for workers' in the comment box.

In the meantime, make sure you have applied for a temporary exemption permit.

Apply for an exemption permit