Hackney Carriage drivers
As the owner of a Birmingham-licensed Hackney Carriage, you may be eligible for a financial incentive if you meet all three of the following criteria:
- Are the register owner/keeper of a hackney carriage taxi that will be charged
- Have been the register owner/keeper of that vehicle since before 10 September 2018
- Are a licensed by Birmingham City Council as a Hackney Carriage driver
What can I apply for?
If you meet all three of the above criteria, you can apply for one of the following financial incentive schemes:
- £5,000 (spread over four years) towards the running costs of an Ultra Low Emission Vehicle (ULEV) taxi
- £5,000 (one off payment) towards a Clean Vehicle Retrofit Accreditation Scheme (CVRAS) solution for an existing vehicle
- £5,000 contribution towards a Euro 4 petrol or Euro 6 diesel (or better) compliant vehicle, unless eligible for the Government’s plug-in grant.
If you had previously owned a non-compliant vehicle, but have upgraded to a compliant vehicle since 10 September 2018, you may be able to apply for the financial support retrospectively.
What do I need to do?
Applications to each of these schemes will be online. You will need to read the terms and conditions and submit copies of the following documentation when you apply.
- Copy of driver’s licence
- Copy of front page V5C for previous non-compliant vehicle (must show name/ address and vehicle registration)
- Copy of front page V5C for new upgraded vehicle (must show name/address and vehicle registration)
- Proof of being a Birmingham City Council-licensed taxi driver for previous vehicle (licensed document must cover period of 10 September 2018)
- Proof of being a Birmingham City Council-licensed taxi driver for new upgraded vehicle (licensed document)
Please note if applying for Hackney Carriage retrofit option you will need to supply the following:
- Quotation from CVRAS-certified installer (at point of application)
- Proof of CVRAS-accredited work completed in the form of a receipt (in order to be paid)
Once you have submitted your application outlining your preferred financial option along with your supporting evidence and preferred support package, we will process your details and be in touch with a decision. Vehicle documentation will be required for existing and new vehicles prior to any payment being made. If applying for the Clean Air Retrofit Accreditation Scheme, we will grant you an temporary exemption from charges upon proof of a deposit being paid whilst you wait for work to be completed.
Interested in leasing an electric taxi instead?
There will also be a scheme whereby taxi drivers can rent one of the new electric taxi fleet provided by the council through one of its partners. Details of this are still being worked on.
You can register an expression of interest in this scheme by sending us your contact details via our Feedback Form form.