Private Hire drivers
If you are the licensed driver of a private hire vehicle (PHV), you may be eligible for a financial incentive to help you upgrade to a vehicle that meets the emission standards for Birmingham’s Clean Air Zone. To qualify you will need to meet all three of the following criteria:
- You are the registered owner/keeper of a private hire vehicle that will be subject the Clean Air Zone daily charge.
- You have been the registered owner/keeper of that vehicle since before 10 September 2018
- You are licensed by Birmingham City Council as a Private Hire driver
What can I apply for?
If you meet the eligibility criteria, you can apply to one of the following schemes:
- Up to £1,000 towards an upgrade to a compliant Euro 4 petrol or Euro 6 diesel vehicle or better. The vehicle must be no more than three years old as of January 2020
- Up to £2,000 towards the purchase or lease of a hybrid vehicle or plug-in hybrid electric vehicle that is not eligible for the Government’s plug-in car grant and meets the Birmingham Taxi Licensing age requirements
- Subject to purchase up to two annual payments of £1,250 towards running costs of a fully electric vehicle or long range plug-in hybrid vehicle (if eligible for a Government plug-in grant
If you previously owned a vehicle that did not meet the Clean Air Zone emission standards and have upgraded to a vehicle that does meet the standard since 10 September 2018, you may be able to apply for the financial incentive retrospectively but we would still require proofs as listed above.
What do I need to do?
Applications for this scheme will be online. You will need to read the terms and conditions and upload copies of the following documentation:
- Copy of driver’s licence
- Copy of front page V5C for previous non-compliant vehicle (must show name/ address and vehicle registration)
- Copy of front page V5C for new upgraded vehicle (must show name/address and vehicle registration)
- Proof of being a Birmingham City Council-licensed taxi driver for previous vehicle (licensed document must cover period of 10 September 2018)
- Proof of being a Birmingham City Council-licensed taxi driver for new upgraded vehicle (licensed document)
Once you have submitted your application outlining your preferred financial option along with your supporting evidence and preferred support package, we will process your details and be in touch with a decision. Vehicle documentation will be required for existing and new vehicles prior to any payment being made.