Hackney Carriage drivers
- Are the register owner/ keeper of a hackney carriage taxi that will be charged
- Have been the register owner/ keeper of that vehicle since before 10 September 2018
- Are a licensed by Birmingham City Council as a Hackney Carriage driver
What can I apply for?
If you meet all three of the above criteria, you can apply for one of the following financial incentive schemes:
- £5,000 (spread over four years) towards the running costs of an Ultra-Low Emission Vehicle (ULEV) taxi
- £5,000 (one off payment) towards a Clean Vehicle Retrofit Accreditation Scheme (CVRAS) solution for an existing vehicle
If you had previously owned a non-compliant vehicle, but have upgraded to a compliant vehicle since 10 September 2018, you may be able to apply for the financial support retrospectively
What do I need to do?
Applications to each of these schemes will be online. You will need to read the terms and conditions and submit copies of the following documentation when you apply.
- Driver's licence
- Proof of vehicle ownership (V5C logbook)
- Taxi licence identification card
Once you have submitted your application outlining your preferred financial option along with your supporting evidence and preferred support package, we will process your details and be in touch with a decision. Vehicle documentation will be required for existing and new vehicles prior to any payment being made.
Interested in leasing an electric taxi instead?
There will also be a scheme whereby taxi drivers can ‘try before you buy’ or rent one of the new electric taxi fleet provided by the council through one of its partners.
This scheme will be launched in early 2021. You can register an expression of interest in this scheme by sending us your contact details via our Feedback Form form and stating 'I would like to find out more about the Electric Taxi Rental Scheme' in the comments box