Charges are live for Birmingham's Clean Air Zone

Charges now apply for non-compliant vehicles which drive through Birmingham's Clean Air Zone. Payment must be made within the allocated timeframe or a Penalty Charge Notice will be issued. Find out how to pay the charge

Residents in the Clean Air Zone

Do I qualify for this exemption?

A temporary exemption permit is available for individuals who meet all three of the following criteria:

  • You live at an address within the Clean Air Zone
  • You are the keeper of a vehicle that does not met the emission standards for the Clean Air Zone and will be subject to the daily charge
  • The vehicle is registered to the same address you live at

Check your vehicle

You only need to apply for an exemption if the vehicle checker confirms you will be charged. If your vehicle is not subject to the charges, you do not need to apply or take any action.

This exemption is available for up to two years (24 months) from the launch of the Clean Air Zone (not from the date you apply), and will allow you to drive your non-compliant vehicle through the zone without having to pay the daily charge.

Please note that you will need to renew your exemption permit after the first 12 months of the zone going live.

How do I apply?

To apply, you will need to provide proof of address and the vehicle keeper:

Proof of address: One of the following is required:

  • A council tax bill, valid for the current year
  • A current utility bill, for example gas, electric or water bill, no more than three months' old (mobile phone bills are not accepted)
  • A bank or credit card statement, no more than three months old
  • A formal tenancy agreement or housing association rent document, dated within the last 12 months
  • Your driving licence (must contain the address you are using to register for the exemption)
  • All documents must be clear enough to read easily. If we can't read the documents, we may request more evidence which could delay the process

Vehicle document: You will need to provide an image or copy of one document from the list below:

  • Your own private vehicle: Your V5C vehicle registration certificate (logbook). The vehicle must be registered in your name and at the address you are using to apply for the exemption.
  • Company car: A company car authorisation letter; this must be on company headed paper, state your full name, the number plate (vehicle registration mark) and confirm that the vehicle is for your use only. (The vehicle must be registered in the company name with the DVLA).
  • Lease vehicle: Vehicle lease document; this is the document that you signed to lease the vehicle. (The vehicle must be registered in the lease company name with the DVLA)
  • A company car provided by a lease company: our company's vehicle lease document (this is the document that you signed to lease the vehicle)

What do I do next?

If you believe you meet the eligibility criteria for a residents exemption permit, you should submit an application with your supporting evidence today.  We will confirm whether or not your application has been successful before the launch of the Clean Air Zone.

To receive updates about the Clean Air Zone, sign up to the Brum Breathes newsletter

Apply for an exemption permit

Please note that your exemption is active from the date of issue, it is not backdated, until you recieve your exemption permit, you must continue to make any required payments if you enter the zone.