Charges are live for Birmingham's Clean Air Zone

Charges now apply for non-compliant vehicles which drive through Birmingham's Clean Air Zone. Payment must be made within the allocated timeframe or a Penalty Charge Notice will be issued. Find out how to pay the charge

Commercial vehicles registered within the Clean Air Zone

If you are a business that meets all of the qualifying criteria below, you can apply for a temporary exemption permit for a maximum of two vehicles:

  • Have a business address registered within the Clean Air Zone
  • Have vehicles registered to the business that will be subject to the daily charge

If your vehicle is not subject to the charges, you do not need to apply or take any action.

Check your vehicle

These exemptions are available for up to one year (12 months) from the launch of the Clean Air Zone (not from the date you apply), and will allow the vehicle(s) covered by these exemptions to drive through the zone without having to pay the daily charge

Please note that if you are successful in your application for exemption from Clean Air Zone charging the exemption may count towards State Aid contributions. This will need to be factored in if making a further application for our HDV fund.

How do I apply?

When you apply for this exemption you will need to provide the following:

Vehicle documents: An image or copy of:

  • Your V5C vehicle registration certificate (logbook). (The vehicle must also be registered with the DVLA in the business name and within the Clean Air Zone
  • Details of your entire fleet, including each vehicle’s registration, age and vehicle type approval (you can confirm this using the Government’s vehicle enquiry service)

Location of your business:

  • Registered name and address on letter-headed paper
  • Companies house registration or VAT registration number

Or in the case of a sole trader one of the following:

  • Tax return
  • Business insurance
  • Liability insurance
  • Membership certification from Federation of Small Business (FSB)
  • Business bank account statement
  • A letter from accountant or solicitor confirming sole trader status (dated in last three months)

What do I do next?

If you believe you meet the eligibility criteria for a commercial vehicle temporary exemption permit, you should submit an application with your supporting evidence today.  We will confirm whether or not your application has been successful before the launch of the Clean Air Zone.

Other points to note:

If your business has more than two vehicles that do not meet the emissions standards for the Clean Air Zone you must register the two newest non-compliant vehicles at the time of application.

To receive updates about the Clean Air Zone, sign up to the Brum Breathes newsletter

Apply for an exemption permit

Please note that your exemption is active from the date of issue, it is not backdated, until you recieve your exemption permit, you must continue to make any required payments if you enter the zone.