Charges are live for Birmingham's Clean Air Zone

Charges now apply for non-compliant vehicles which drive through Birmingham's Clean Air Zone. Payment must be made within the allocated timeframe or a Penalty Charge Notice will be issued. Find out how to pay the charge

Workers in the Clean Air Zone

If you work in the Clean Air Zone, but live outside of it, you can apply for a temporary worker exemption permit if you meet all three of the following criteria:

  • You are the registered keeper of a vehicle that will be charged
    (the employee name must match the name of the vehicle keeper; you will not be eligible if it is in the name of a relative or partner, nor can we accept insurance documents showing you as a named driver on the policy)
  • You work at least 18 hours per week at a business premise situated within the Clean Air Zone
    (if your workplace is based outside of the zone but you travel within it for meetings/ deliveries/ appointments etc then you will not be eligible and we would recommend speaking with your employer about what support they may be able to offer)
  • You earn no more than £30,000 a year

If your vehicle is not subject to the charges, you do not need to apply or take any action.

Check your vehicle

The exemption permit will be valid for up to one year (12 months) from the date you receive the permit. During this period you will be able to drive your non-compliant vehicle through the zone without having to pay the daily charge.

How do I apply?

To apply, you will need to provide proof of vehicle keeper, proof of earnings and proof of employment within the Clean Air Zone.

The keeper of the vehicle must be the same name as the employee; if you drive a partner, relative or friend’s vehicle to commute then you will not be eligible.

Please note we will only exempt one vehicle per applicant.

Examples of evidence required:

Proof of work address:

  • A letter from your employer on company headed paper stating your hours and place of work (if applying for a worker exemption please take a moment to read through this Model Workplace Letter which shows the information your letter should provide in support of your application)
  • If self-employed, proof that you undertake 18 hours of work at premises within the zone; this can be a letter on headed paper from a company based within the zone or copies of invoices etc

Proof of earnings:

  • Your most recent P60
  • If self-employed, your most recent tax return

Proof of keepership of non-compliant vehicle

  • V5C certificate that references you as the registered keeper

What do I do next?

If you believe you meet the eligibility criteria for the Clean Air Zone worker exemption permit, you should submit an application with your supporting evidence today.  We will confirm whether or not your application has been successful before the launch of the Clean Air Zone. 

Apply for an exemption permit

Please note that your exemption is active from the date of issue, it is not backdated, until you recieve your exemption permit, you must continue to make any required payments if you enter the zone. 


Financial incentives for workers?

You could also be eligible for the Clean Air Zone worker financial incentive scheme. If you meet the eligibility criteria, you can scrap a vehicle that will be charged and receive £2,000 travel credits to spend on public transport with Transport for West Midlands or £2,000 off the cost of a compliant car with Motorpoint.

To receive updates about the Clean Air Zone, sign up to the Brum Breathes newsletter.