What does it mean for me?

Exemption permits for residents

Do I qualify for this exemption?  

A temporary exemption permit is available for individuals who meet all three of the following criteria: 

  • You live at an address within the Clean Air Zone 
  • You own a vehicle that does not met the emission standards for the Clean Air Zone and will be subject to the daily charge 
  • The vehicle must be registered to the same address you live at

Check your vehicle

This exemption is available for up to two years (24 months) from the launch of the Clean Air Zone (not from the date you apply), and will allow you to drive your non-compliant vehicle through the zone without having to pay the daily charge. 

Please note that you will need to renew your exemption permit after 12 months dependent on when you first apply for the permit. 

How do I apply?  

To apply, you will need to provide proof of address and vehicle ownership:

Proof of address: One of the following is required: 

  • A council tax bill, valid for the current year 
  • A current utility bill, for example gas, electric or water bill, no more than three months' old (mobile phone bills are not accepted) 
  • A bank or credit card statement, no more than three months old 
  • A formal tenancy agreement or housing association rent document, dated within the last 12 months 
  • Your driving licence (must contain the address you are using to register for the exemption) 
  • All documents must be clear enough to read easily. If we can't read the documents, we may request more evidence which could delay the process

Vehicle document: You will need to provide an image or copy of one document from the list below:  

  • Your own private vehicle: Your V5C vehicle registration certificate (logbook). The vehicle must be registered with the Din your name and at the address you are using to apply for the exemption.  
  • Company car: A company car authorisation letter; this must be on company headed paper, state your full name, the number plate (vehicle registration mark) and confirm that the vehicle is for your use only. (The vehicle must be registered in the company name with the DVLA). 
  • Lease vehicle: Vehicle lease document; this is the document that you signed to lease the vehicle. (The vehicle must be registered in the lease company name with the DVLA) 
  • A company car provided by a lease company: Your company's vehicle lease document (this is the document that you signed to lease the vehicle)

What do I do next?  

If you believe you meet the eligibility criteria for a residents exemption permit, you should submit an application with your supporting evidence today.  We will confirm whether or not your application has been successful before the launch of the Clean Air Zone.  

To receive updates about the Clean Air Zone, sign up to the Brum Breathes newsletter  

Apply for an exemption permit